Indiana appeals enhanced unemployment ruling

UPDATE (July 21, 2021):

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (ADAMS) – As expected, Indiana is challenging the ruling that forced the state back into the enhanced federal unemployment program. Lawyers for the governor’s office filed an appeal on Tuesday.

A Marion County judge ruled late last month that the state could not drop out of the program that provides an extra $300 dollars per week to people on unemployment.

The governor’s office says the five people who originally challenged the move to drop out don’t have the standing to sue, and the governor’s office says state law does not require Indiana to enroll in every federal program out there.

Indiana dropped out of the program on June 19th but started making payments once again last week.

Read more here

UPDATE (July 14, 2021):

People on unemployment in Indiana will get the extra $300 a week that they missed over the past month, but the state is not sure how or when.

On Tuesday, the Indiana Department of Workforce Development said people entitled to the extra $300 in federal unemployment benefits will be paid.

Indiana dropped out of the program on June 19th, but DWD hopes to start paying people their benefits again by the end of this week.

DWD says it is still working on the specifics of how to restore that extra money.

Read more here

UPDATE (July 13, 2021):

People on unemployment in Indiana can expect to start getting their extra $300 dollars per week by the end of the week.

On Monday, the state’s Court of Appeals ordered Governor Holcomb’s office to once again pay the extra federal benefits.

The governor ordered the state out of the program last month, but a pair of law firms sued to keep the benefits flowing. Indiana’s Department of Workforce Development says it should start processing the payments once again on Friday.

Read more here

 

UPDATE (July 8, 2021):

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (ADAMS) – People on unemployment in Indiana are going to have to wait a bit to get their extra benefits once again. The state is not yet paying the extra $300 that is part of the enhanced federal unemployment program.

An Indianapolis judge last month ordered the state to start making those payments again, but Governor Holcomb’s office is appealing that decision.

The governor withdrew Indiana from the enhanced benefits program as a way to get people back to work. The state’s Department of Workforce Development isn’t guessing when, or even if, people on unemployment will get that extra money.

Read more here

UPDATE (June 29, 2021):

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (ADAMS) – A judge has ordered the state of Indiana to once again send people on unemployment an extra $300 dollars a week, but that may be easier said than done.

On Monday, Indiana’s Department of Workforce Development said it is working on re-enrolling people in the enhanced federal unemployment program.

The DWD, however, said it will take time. Meanwhile, Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb says the state is appealing the judge’s decision from last week.

Holcomb ordered the state out of the enhanced unemployment program as of June 19th.

Read more here

ORIGINAL STORY:

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (ADAMS) – People on unemployment in Indiana can continue to collect an extra $300 dollars a week.

A Marion County judge on Friday blocked Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb’s order that withdrew the state from the enhanced federal unemployment program as of June 19th.

The judge says people should not miss out on extra benefits while a lawsuit from the group Concerned Clergy of Indianapolis works its way through the courts.

The governor and Indiana’s attorney general are working on an appeal.

They say they followed all of the steps to get Indiana out of the program and hopefully get people back to work.

Read more here