Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.
– If you have two arms, you have an above-average number of arms. How? Almost no one has more than two arms, but some people have zero or one. That means the average number of arms worldwide is just slightly less than two.
– Cheerios were called CheeriOats when they debuted in 1941. The name was changed in 1945.
– The most common name for counties in the U.S. is Washington County, with 31. Jefferson County is second, with 26.
– The Russian delegation showed up 12 days late to the 1908 Olympics in London, because they were still using the old Julian calendar . . . and didn’t realize the rest of the world had switched to the Gregorian calendar.
– Neil deGrasse Tyson is one of the most famous astrophysicists in the world. Turns out he’s also a fantastic DANCER . . . and won a gold medal at a dance meet in 1985 doing Latin Ballroom for the University of Texas dance team.
Strange and trending news:
– A survey found the top outdoor activities that remind us of childhood are fishing, camping, going to the beach, going to a lake, and riding bikes. (Full Story)
– One out of seven people say they’d end a relationship, even one that had real potential if the other person didn’t like the same foods as them. The survey also found 30% of people say food is more important to them than sex. (Full Story)
– Almost HALF of people say they’ve had an office romance at some point, according to a new survey. And one out of five of those couples are still together. But the average office romance lasts just over 10 months. (Full Story)
– The fine people at Franzia just created a BACKPACK that holds an entire box of wine . . . and it even has a spout on the side for easy pouring. They’re set to go on sale on Sunday and will cost $32. (Full Story)
– A website is looking to hire a professional CHEESEBURGER TASTER. They’ll pay someone $500 to eat and rate a whole bunch of cheeseburgers. If you’re interested, they’re accepting applications for the next two weeks. (Full Story)
– Doctors just found people with THICK THIGHS are more likely to have lower BLOOD PRESSURE than people with thinner legs. (Full Story)
– When someone says “I love you” to their dog, the dog’s heart rate immediately skyrockets by 46%, according to a new study. (Full Story)
– The finalists for the annual Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards have been announced. Some of the best ones are a gorilla that just looks over it . . . a bird perched on a sign that says “no fishing” with a fish in its beak . . . and a turtle giving the camera the middle finger. (Full Story)
– A 22-year-old woman in Slovenia was busted for intentionally cutting off her LEFT HAND for the insurance money. She was just sentenced to two years in prison. (Full Story)