Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.
– White elephant gifts got their name from an old practice by kings in Asia, where if they were upset with a subject, they’d give them a rare albino elephant . . . which was expensive and difficult to maintain.
– The country of San Marino has played 164 international soccer matches . . . and won one. They beat Liechtenstein in 2004.
– Happy hours have been banned in Ireland since 2003.
– The guy who wrote the “Bah dah dah dah dah, I’m lovin’ it” jingle for McDonald’s committed suicide five years later, in 2008. He was a 40-year-old named Paul Tilley from Chicago.
– There are six American cities that have a VOLCANO within city limits: Portland, Oregon . . . Bend, Oregon . . . Jackson, Mississippi . . . Honolulu, Hawaii . . . Prescott Valley, Arizona . . . and Austin, Texas.
Strange and trending news:
– A new study found an office job can help your brain stay sharper as you get older . . . especially compared to people in more physical jobs. (Full Story)
– According to a new survey, two-thirds of people say they like competing against their coworkers and knowing how they stack up. And . . . they think that the competition makes them better at their job. (Full Story)
– Here are the top “little things” that have been keeping us happy during the pandemic, according to a new survey: Seeing someone we love after being apart for a while . . . sleeping in a bed that’s just been made . . . and feeling the sun on our face. (Full Story)
– The average family will miss out on 17 events this summer, including summer camp trips, six short trips, two longer trips, and seven meetups with friends. (Full Story)
– Today is International Beer Day, and you can get free . . . Miller Lite? They’re running a promotion where if you buy a six pack of Miller Lite today in one of 110 cities in the U.S. that share their name with a country, they’ll give you a full refund on the price. (Full Story)
– A guy posted on Reddit this week about how he’s upset his family members are pushing back against the “white tie” and “no dyed hair or piercings” dress code at his wedding next month. But after a bunch of responses on Reddit, something else upset him. Quote, “Everyone shouting ‘bridezilla’ is being very sexist. I am the man . . . [and] I am the one who posted this.” (Full Story)
– Cops in Kansas rushed to a car on Wednesday after someone spotted a STICK OF DYNAMITE inside. But it turned out to be . . . a beef stick. (Full Story)
– Three teenagers who had a GUN tried to run from the cops in Palm Beach, Florida last Friday . . . but got caught when they accidentally scaled a wall into the Mar-a-Lago resort. Cops say they’re lucky the Secret Service didn’t shoot them. (Full Story)