Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.
– Softball was originally called “kitten ball.”
– In Delaware, a marriage can be annulled if one or both people did it as part of a game of Truth or Dare. But in their legal code it’s referred to as, quote, “Jest or Dare.”
– The most used seven-letter English word is “between” . . . the most used eight-letter word is “children” . . . the most used nine-letter word is “different” . . . and the most used 10-letter word is “government.”
– Vincent van Gogh was named after his stillborn brother. One year before he was born, his parents had a child named Vincent who died during birth.
– Cannibalism is illegal in Idaho and has a maximum sentence of 14 years . . . unless you had to eat someone, quote, “under extreme life-threatening conditions as the only apparent means of survival.” Then it’s okay.
Strange and trending news:
– A new survey asked people how much they think they’re spending every month on subscriptions, including cell phone service. The average person estimated around $80. Turns out the answer is $237 when you add everything up. (Full Story)
– A new study found that as women get older, the men they’re most attracted to are the ones roughly around their same age. But for men, no matter how old they get, they’re attracted to women between 20 and 24. (Full Story)
– A 23-year-old model from Azerbaijan just sold her virginity online . . . a Japanese businessman bought it for $2.6 million. And she says she sold it to, quote, “make her mom proud” by getting enough money to buy them a house. (Full Story)
– Vaping in your wedding photos is apparently the hot new wedding trend. There are a bunch of examples online. Some of them are artsy, and there are even shots where the entire wedding party is vaping. (Full Story)
– The newest social media trend is called “The Koala Challenge,” where one person pretends they’re a tree, and the other person climbs all over them like a koala. (Full Story)
– A brewery in Virginia is releasing a new IPA that tastes just like LUCKY CHARMS cereal. They made it with marshmallows and tropical hops so it has a sweet, fruity taste. (Full Story)
– A woman was golfing in Florida on Saturday and hit a shot that was headed toward the water . . . until an ALLIGATOR jumped up and snatched the ball out of the air with its mouth. And the woman wasn’t freaked out . . . she was happy, because she would’ve gotten a penalty if the ball had gone in the water. (Full Story)
– A guy in Wales with NO ARMS was just in court . . . for STABBING his dad in the stomach by holding scissors between his toes. But even though his dad needed major surgery, he asked the judge to be lenient . . . and the guy wound up getting 12 months of community service. (Full Story)
– A 63-year-old guy was caught with 500 pounds of pot while driving through Pennsylvania last Thursday . . . after a cop clocked him doing 40 miles an hour in a 70 mile-per-hour zone. (Full Story)
– A guy in Manitoba, Canada called 911 earlier this month, because he was running a hockey tournament and desperately needed help finding a ZAMBONI to rent. As far as we know, the Mounties didn’t arrest him for 911 abuse. (Full Story)
– An 18-year-old guy in Arkansas called the cops on Thursday night to report HIMSELF for underage drinking. They tried to tell him just to sober up, but he insisted on going to jail . . . so they arrested him. (Full Story)
– A guy in St. Louis sold an old VCR on eBay this month. And the 86-year-old guy who bought it wrote him a heartfelt letter, thanking him for making it possible to watch old footage of his friends and family. (Full Story)
This person sold their VHS player on eBay and got a surprise letter in the mail: pic.twitter.com/oaLV8dUFqR
— Yoni (@OriginalYoni) February 17, 2019