Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler…
Fun (or not-so-fun) Facts:
- Native English speakers have a tendency to put adjectives in “OSASCOMP” order when using multiple adjectives. That’s “Opinion,Size, Age, Shape, Color, Origin, Material, and P“
- An extreme example utilizing ALL of them would be: “It’s a beautiful, tiny, antique, boxy, brown, Japanese, wooden, rocking chair.”
- Before the Earth was covered in trees, somewhere around 350 to 420 million years ago, it was covered in giant mushrooms.
- The word “synonym” has two synonyms: Poecilonym(pee cil oh nihm) and polyonym (pol ee oh nihm).
- The way herring communicate underwater is through, basically, PASSING GAS. They shoot air out of their rectums, which creates a high-frequency sound that other herring can hear.
This reminded me of a great deep dive history into the noise that Radiolab did (so interesting)
- There have been two NFL games in history where a team finished with negative yardage offensively . . . meaning they lost more yards over the whole game than they gained. And surprisingly, neither involved the Browns. Seattle did it against the L.A. Rams in 1979, with minus-seven yards, and Denver did it against Oakland in 1967, with minus-five.
Strange and trending news:
- Today is National Espresso Day. And Drinksgiving, which is a celebration of adults returning home to meet up with friends and family to catch up over drinks.
- CNN posted a massive list of the 350 “best” Black Friday deals. (Full Story)
- You know it’s the holidays when Google says searches for FLANNEL are way up. The top five flannel things we’re searching for are shirts, jackets, sheets, pajamas, and hoodies. (Full Story)
- A Mexican city whipped up the world’s largest serving of guacamole. It took 300 cooks, and they made 10,957 pounds of guacamole. (Full Story)
- A man in Florida was arrested after jumping over a Burger King counter and threatening workers with PLIERS if they didn’t give him free food. (Full Story)
- A paddleboarder in the U.K. dropped her iPhone in the ocean . . . and over a YEAR later, it washed up ashore . . . and worked perfectly. It was in a waterproof case, but still, it’s pretty crazy. (Full Story)
- According to a new study, men with higher IQs are more likely to bet on horse racing. (Full Story)